Summer is finally here. And so is the sunshine. Uncertain what flowers you should plant?
There are particular Summer flowers that thrive in intense sunlight. By knowing which ones they are, you can have your garden looking like a lush, colourful paradise.
We’re going to list which sunshine-loving Summer flowers are ideal for keeping your garden looking alive, beautiful, and welcoming this season.
Dianthus derives from the greek meaning “flower of the gods”, and there’s no confusion about why that is. They give your garden a heavenly look.
With the contrast of brilliant colours, from light and dark pink (and red) petals and various shades of green foliage. They’re a favourite if you’re looking to add some fresh, breathtaking colours.
- Dianthus bloom from late Spring to early Summer – so now is the perfect time to plant yours!
- These flowers are easy to look after, needing water once or twice a week.
- They need six hours per day of exposure to sunshine to bloom at their full potential.
- Ideally, put them in an area where they have enough space. And in alkaline or neutral soil that drains well and is moist but not soggy.
- Pro tip: Wear gloves when handling them to avoid short-lasting skin irritation from the foliage.
Shop our entire range of Dianthus.
These spectacular Summer flowers express desire, hope, and serenity. Another great flower to show your garden love this Summer.
Petunias come in a wide variety of white, red, orange, pink, and purple flower shades with distinct patterns. They have a slight fragrance and grow well in pots or in the ground. They’ll make your garden, porch, or patio pop with their warm and inviting radiance.
- They bloom best all through Summer, but also abundantly during Spring.
- Petunias are known for their drought-tolerant qualities, but regular watering gives them their greatest life (twice a day in the hot summer conditions)
- They thrive in full sun, ideally all day long.
- For greatest potential, plant them in light, well-drainable soil. With slightly acidic (5.5-6.5) pH levels for intense, bright petal colours.
- Pro tip: They have fewer disease and pest worries. But avoid watering the stems to prevent aphids, slugs, and snails.
Shop our entire range of Petunias.
Salvias are phenomenal Summer flowers, known for their connection to healing, often symbolising wisdom and long life. It’s common for people in recovery to receive this flower.
In the middle ages, the language of flowers said that Salvia plants represent domestic integrity and your life’s current circumstances. They’ll live when things are good, and wilt when things are bad. Salvias (known as sages) give your garden a healthy, mesmerising look. They have an astonishing range of colours and strong, pleasant fragrances.
- They do well in hot and dry conditions.
- Salvias prefer the sun over shady conditions, but some will bloom well in partly shaded areas.
- The soil should be well-drained, and slightly acidic. They require little care and excessive water can lead to fungal diseases.
- Attract butterflies and pollinators.
- Pro tip: Determine how much water your Salvias need by the dampness of the soil. If it’s completely dry, give it some water. If it’s damp, there’s no need to water it.
Shop our entire range of Salvias.
Gazanias are indigenous Summer flowers that give your garden some outstanding colours.
These flowers are named after Theodore of Gaza, a greek theologian. The word “Gaza” in Greek means riches. These Summer flowers are known as “treasure flowers.” They’ll turn your garden into a prize possession.
- Ideal in a sunny spot in your garden, as they enjoy full sunshine.
- Prefer well-draining soil for maximum bloom potential, but they grow in most soil conditions.
- These are one of the most drought-tolerant perennial plants you can get. Needing minimal watering. They can rot with too much water.
- They are popular for attracting bees and other pollinators.
- Pro tip: Fungal problems and pests are typically associated with these Summer flowers. Keep on the lookout!
Shop our entire range of Gazanias on sale!
A popular choice of compact bedding summer flowers, Alyssum are an incredible addition to any garden.
They are annual, have a sweet smell, and come in a variety of colours including shades of purple, pink, white, yellow, and others. They’re also known for their calming, peaceful energy. It’s said these flowers protect individuals from harmful situations.
- Grown best in fully sunny regions, but are also known to tolerate partly shady areas.
- They need to be watered properly during hot and dry conditions.
- These Summer flowers blossom better in well-drained soil with medium-level moisture.
- They are fast-blooming flowers and attract all sorts of pollinators. You can also use them to fill open spaces and prevent weeds from growing in specific areas of your garden.
- Pro tip: Grow them in close-knit bunches to create a captivating carpet flowering effect.
Shop our entire range of Alyssyms.
There you have it – all the Summer flowers you need to make your garden flourish. Give it an awe-inspiring colourful look during the sunny, sunshine-filled season.
Shop with us and we’ll deliver your flowers to your doorstep, anywhere in South Africa!
Follow us on Facebook and Instagram, and sign up for our monthly newsletter to stay nourished with specials, insights, and ideas for your garden. “Where flowers bloom so does hope.” – Lady Bird Johnson